Facial Feminization Surgery (FFS)
Considerations and Questions to Ask
Facial feminization surgery can be a very stressful experience before and
after the procedures. Below are facial feminization surgery questions and
ideas to think about before the procedure:
Good surgeons will answer questions until the patient is satisfied. They
should discuss goals, measurements, recommendations, and a price estimate.
Questions to Ask
- What are your board certifications?
- How long have you performed facial feminization surgery?
- How many patients have you performed facial feminization surgery?
- May I see pictures of your patients before and after facial feminization
- Can I talk to your patients?
- Describe the facial feminization surgery procedure.
- What sort of recovery time should I expect after facial feminization
- When will bruising and swelling subside?
- Can I expect any temporary or permanent change in sensation from facial feminization surgery?
- When will I be able to return to work?
- All risks and complications should be explained in full prior to making
any decisions about facial feminization surgery.
Get the major risks and possible complications in
- Allow yourself enough time to reflect upon the risks and extended length
of recovery if there are any complications.
- Get in writing surgeon’s fees (clarify any last minute additions
to the bill); responsibilities in the event of subsequent
revisions of procedures; the nature and quality
of post-operative care
- Ask for a copy of the consent form before booking surgery. Make sure it
is explained in full. If the document doesn’t
provide enough details, ask for further documentation,
possibly from the surgeon’s lawyers.
- Understand the surgeon’s medical and legal responsibilities before
undergoing facial feminization surgery.
- Ask for contact information of patients who have undergone facial feminization
- Be prepared to walk away from surgery, even at the very last minute, if
you feel you have not received all the information
necessary to be comfortable with the lasting effects
of facial feminization surgery
- If you do undergo facial feminization surgery, bring a partner or advocate
to ensure that you’re well taken care of
- You have the right to expect the kind of explanations that any other surgical
candidate would be given. If you’re not receiving
the information you need, consider another surgeon.
- Once you have all the information, go home and reflect on what you’ve
been told, how you’ve been treated, and what
you’ve heard from post-surgical patients.
- Remember that facial feminization surgery is a very invasive, but elective,
- Consider if the surgeon is an academic surgeon or in the “business”